Thursday, October 23, 2014

Surviving Finals 101

I just finished all of my end of the quarter finals, and somehow I survived. With seven classes and five finals, this week has been insane.  On top of that, it was the last week of my high school volleyball, so add all of the studying and excitement together, and that creates one stressful week. There are a few tips that you should follow so you can ace your tests, and still get all of the beauty sleep you need. Sounds impossible right? It takes sacrifices like giving up Netflix for a while, but it's worth it.

Study Tips- After school, I don't suggest you immediately study, because I know I like a little break for about thirty minutes before going back to academics. For everyone currently involved in a after school sport or activity, it makes this a lot more difficult, but I start studying immediately after practice. I like to start by studying the class I already have the lowest grade in. Therefore if I am not able to study everything that night, at least I have a chance to raise my grade. Study each subject by reading the notes or a specific study guide. It also helps if you have a parent or older sibling to clarify and help explain to you what you are learning. What really helps me the most is quizlet. That is by far the most fun and efficient way to learn vocabulary and terms in my opinion. Everyone has their own ways of studying, but these things are just what help me the most.

GO TO SLEEP!- Even though you want to stay up all night studying, that will not help you on your test. First of all, it is very hard trying to remember the formula for slope-intercept form at 2 am when you are half asleep. Also, you are going to be exhausted during the test and that may contribute to lowering your score.  Basically, GO TO SLEEP EARY.

The Dreaded Morning- While I am doing my makeup or getting ready, I will usually end up studying at that time too because I am so nervous. It does keep all of the information fresh in your head if you have a test first period. For clothes, keep it comfy. Finals week is the one week when I wear sweats, leggings, Uggs or Jesus sandals literally everyday. I think it makes a pretty big difference when you can comfortably take a test. Last important thing to do in the morning is to eat a large and healthy breakfast so you can stay focused all day. Also, if you can study in an elective class that you may have like Sage and I did in journalism, trust me it will help you out a lot for your next class.

Finals week is so stressful and I hope these tips will ease the pain a little. If you have a way to study that's been working, stick with it, but hopefully some of these will help. Good luck on all of your tests!

Currently my desk.




2 comments:

  1. I really learned a lot from this post! I'm not very good at studying so I will definitely try a few of your tips. I have a similar post on my blog that you might like: http://egideon18.blogspot.com/2014/10/all-nighter-study-session-not-working.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you talked about the struggle of balancing high school sports and academics. I completely understand! I just recently wrote a post about our volleyball season if you want to check it out! Here is the link to part 1: http://sroberts18.blogspot.com/2014/10/who-is-b-y-e-part-1.html and part 2:http://sroberts18.blogspot.com/2014/10/who-is-b-y-e-part-2.html

    ReplyDelete