Friday, January 16, 2015

The Mental Aspect of Sports

I've been playing different sports my entire life: Gymnastics, Dance, Soccer, Tennis and mainly volleyball. There's not many things that those sport have in common, but they all need a positive mental game. I really figured out that this is important this year in high school volleyball. Being team captain on the Freshman team, and one of two freshman on the Junior Varsity team, I had to have a positive attitude. I had to stay positive and bring my team up even when the score was 2-20.

Something particular about being positive is keep in your mind what you want to do, no negative words. In soccer don't think to yourself, "Don't miss, don't miss," but "Goal." While serving in a game of volleyball, every single time I think "Ace" and never anything with negative words, because that is what your mind will be focusing on, causing you to mess up.

Another thing while playing a sport is to forget about your mistakes. Plenty of times I focus on what I did to mess up and I can't stop focusing on that, then your attitude goes down and you typically will bring your team down with you

Surrounding yourself with people you love for teammates makes all of the difference. I wouldn't be where I am with my wonderful teammates that I love so much. I don't think I would even still be involved in volleyball without my wonderful team. 

Obviously the physical ability is important too. In volleyball, you always need to be in your ready position, down low and ready for anything. This applies to many sports other than volleyball, you can always be ready. When you are low and focused it sets your mind and body to get ready for the game. 

Last, always be prepared. Jerseys, shoes, food and everything should always be prepared because if you're worried about those things, part of your mind will be focused on the things you need or what's going on after the game.

The biggest tip I have is stay focused, keep your eyes on the ball, and as Troy Boltin says, keep your head in the game.
Huddle with the JV team.
Warming up before my first high school home game on JV
With JV team waiting for the serve to come over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment