Friday, March 13, 2015

5 Easy After School Snacks

There are many store bought things to eat after school, but I find it much more fun to make a snack after school. I made every one of these after school to make sure they are super easy and achievable for the average teen.

1) Mac and Cheese-

My Mac and Cheese using
this recipe.
This one has been my go-to after school snack since I learned how to make it in the third grade. This one is a little more time consuming, but if you have time, it is worth it. I'm pretty sure this is the classic recipe, but here is how I've always made it:

Noodles: All you need to do is follow the instructions on your favorite noodles for mac and cheese. Elbow pasta is what I normally do, but penne and shells are also fun and tasty.

Sauce: Start with two tablespoons of butter in a pan. Once that is melted, add the same amount of flour, and quickly add around half a cup of milk. When that thickens, add a little more milk until it is a thick and creamy consistency. Add in shredded cheddar cheese to your liking. Put in the cooked pasta and you have the perfect Mac and Cheese.



2) Apple Sandwiches-

I love making these apple sandwiches because you can personalize them so much. All you do is slice an apple sideways with a hole in the middle where the core is so you have two pieces to act as the bread. Next, add your filling, either peanut butter, cookie butter, Nutella, or whatever sounds best to you. Add chocolate chips, coconut shavings, sprinkles, or keep it plain for the sides! This is fun to experiment with different flavors and decorations.

3) Smoothies-

All ingredients used in my smoothie
I'm sure I'm not the only one who forgets how delicious and healthy smoothies are and never makes them. As I am writing this I am drinking my absolute favorite smoothie, peanut butter banana. I took one banana, ice, a spoonful of Nutella, milk, and a few teaspoons of powdered peanut butter. I blended all of this with milk in my Magic Bullet blender to create a perfect, filling snack.



4) Tuna Melts-

There is only a few simple steps to follow to make some delicious tuna melts in under five minutes. Mix one can of tuna with two tablespoons of mayo. Add 1/2 teaspoon of dill and one stalk of chopped celery and set aside. Heat skillet over medium heat. Butter two slices of bread. Add 1/4 cup of the tea mixture to the unbuttered side of great and top with a slice of American cheese. Top with the other slice of bread, buttered side out. Cook in skillet until golden. Then, turn and cook other side until golden.


5) Quesadillas

You can make this one super simple or super complex, its up to you! If you don't have much time, put two tortillas with shredded cheese in the middle into the microwave for about a minute. If you want to go a little more gourmet, use a skillet with a little butter instead. It doesn't take much longer, but it makes a huge difference. You can add guacamole, salsa, taco sauce or anything you want to personalize this.

These recipes are things my mom always made me or I made up, but if there are some great ideas on the internet. Food Network is a great place to find delicious and easy recipes for after school snacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment